how much should you spend on your capsule wardrobe?
what exactly is a capsule wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a term that is used to describe a closet, or wardrobe, in which the garments are interchangeable, have the possibility to be used on any occasion, and will not go out of fashion or degrade in a way that they have to be constantly replaced.
It advocates for owning a few clothes, only the strictly necessary, and using them to their maximum, being able to combine them in tens of different ways without having to buy new clothes to change your outfit.
As you may have noticed, this goes hand-in-hand with Slow Fashion and Sustainable Fashion, which is the reason we’re talking about it in this blog. And this is the reason it’s so beneficial for our environment, as it reduces your carbon footprint by a ton.
Other related terms are key or staple clothes, which are used to describe garments that can be combined in every way, fitting for every occasion you may encounter. If you want to know more about what these things really are, we advise you to check out our other article on the subject. Having said this, let’s continue.
why do you need to create your own capsule wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe can help you in many ways, from making your life more simple to reducing your environmental impact on this world. So let’s go checklist-style on the reasons why you may need a capsule wardrobe:
- It makes your life a lot more simple, because you don’t have that many clothes to worry about, you always know what to choose and you probably already figured out what looks best on you.
- It reduces your carbon footprint, by consuming fewer clothes that pollute the environment, but also by purchasing Sustainable Fashion garments, made with respect for the environment and the workers that produced them.
- You will get the maximum out of all your garments, because you only have a few clothes, you will make them last as long as they can, while also using them at their maximum, talk about using resources efficiently.
- You will also get all of your pennies’ worth, every dollar you spend on garments for your capsule wardrobe will also be used at their maximum, so you can justify spending more money on higher-quality, sustainable clothes.
These are some of the reasons why you should consider creating your own capsule little wardrobe. Now that you know this, how about we tell you how much money you should spend in your mission.
how much should you spend on your capsule wardrobe?
This is one of the most common questions when heading into this journey, and although this varies from person to person, we have a few guidelines that will help you determine in your specific case how much you should be spending. With this in mind, here are some tips that will help you figure out how much money to spend on your capsule wardrobe:
- Not all money spent is equal, it is not the same to spend more money on designer clothing than more money on sustainable clothing. Price is not an indicator of quality, not always, so don’t be shy when picking the cheaper option if you think that it is of higher quality than the more expensive one. There are limits, of course, when garments are sold cheaper than their fair value, which means that they cannot be possibly sold at that price if they were created respecting the environment and the workers.
- Always pick quality over quantity, you should always prioritize quality, not only because you will be wearing these garments for a long time, but also because a capsule wardrobe is created to minimize your carbon footprint and become more environmentally friendly, so it is a little bit contradicting choosing Fast Fashion garments to complement your capsule wardrobe, for example.
- Calculate how much you usually spend on clothes, a great way to know the amount of money that you should be spending on your capsule wardrobe is by calculating how much, on average, you spend on clothes, and extrapolating that to the amount of time that you think your capsule wardrobe will last without its clothes needing to be replaced (this can be a very long time, especially with sustainable clothing, so you can also take in mind if you plan on changing your style during the next years). Then, you have a budget to help you know how much you should spend, and most definitely you will realize how much money you will save long-term by not buying that many clothes, especially if you sell your current clothes, you might even make a profit.
- Think long-term, another great thing to do is to think long-term, don’t treat your clothes like they will only be with you for a few months, treat your clothes like you’re going to marry them. When creating a capsule wardrobe this is essentially what you are doing, so always think long-term before purchasing new clothes, that way you will always pick the best option.
Now that you know how much money you should be spending while creating your own capsule wardrobe, we will give you a few tips to help you in this journey. Then it’s all yours, and we wish you the best of luck!
5 tips that will help you when creating your capsule wardrobe
Now that you know this, we will give you a few tips so you can succeed in your mission to create your own capsule wardrobe. Having said that, here are 5 tips that will help you create your very own capsule wardrobe:
- Choose Your Color Scheme, in order to have a small wardrobe that will fit every situation you encounter, you have to keep in mind your color palette, this involves choosing a few base colors that combine with everything, like black, brown, grey, white or navy (which is a pretty cool color if you ask us). All other items that you will wear should be shades of the base colors you have chosen, now you should be able to combine all of your precious garments while still looking as great as you used to.
- Consider Your Body Shape, this is a crucial step in order to feel comfortable with your clothes, you have to make sure the garments you choose are suited for your body, for example, by wearing cap sleeves if you have wider hips, as this will make your shoulders look more proportionate in relation to your hips.
- Consider Your Complexion, this also goes hand-in-hand with the other tip, choose colors that combine with yourself, your own body, as there are colors that may make you look paler or that benefit you more in some way or another. It is just a matter of your own preferences.
- Choose Classic Shapes And Patterns, in order to hold on to your wardrobe, you should think about long-term, avoiding garments that you think will quickly go out of date. So keep in mind that when buying your garments.
- Choose High-Quality Fabrics, this is one of the most important tips, your wardrobe should be composed of high-quality garments and sustainable fashion garments. This will not only make your garments last longer, but it will also reduce your carbon footprint. With a capsule wardrobe, it doesn’t really matter if the price of the garment is higher, you’re not going to buy nearly as many clothes as a normal person would, so you’re just investing in yourself, basically.
Well, this is it, we hope these 5 tips have helped you understand what you need and how you can create your own wardrobe that will help you minimize your impact on this planet, while also letting you live a minimalistic and simple lifestyle.
We hope you have learned a lot today, if you want to know more about a capsule wardrobe, or about the fashion industry and its sustainability, feel free to check the articles below or our blog, we have tons of great articles like this for you to enjoy.
We are thrilled to teach people all around the world 🙂 Also, did you really know what Fast Fashion really is and its terrible consequences for the environment, the planet, the workers, society, and the economy? Do you know exactly what the Slow Fashion or Sustainable Fashion movement is? You should really take a look at these articles about this forgotten and unknown but very urgent and important subject, click here to read „Can Fashion Ever Be Sustainable?”, Sustainable Fashion, Ethical Fashion, Slow Fashion or Fast Fashion 101 | How It’s Destroying Our Planet because knowledge is one of the most powerful strengths you can have, while ignorance is your worst weakness.
We also have a big surprise for you! Because we want to give you the right to know us better, we have prepared a carefully dedicated About Us page where we will tell you who we are, what our mission is, what we do, a closer look at our team, and many more things! Do not miss this opportunity and click here to check it out. Also, we invite you to take a look at our Pinterest, where we will pin everyday sustainable fashion-related content, clothing designs, and other things that you will surely love!