what is a capsule wardrobe and how does it help the environment? why is it called capsule wardrobe?
what is a capsule wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a term that is used to describe a closet, or wardrobe, in which the garments are interchangeable, have the possibility to be used on any occasion, and will not go out of fashion or degrade in a way that they have to be constantly replaced.
It advocates for owning a few clothes, only the strictly necessary, and using them to their maximum, being able to combine them in tens of different ways without having to buy new clothes to change your outfit.
As you may have noticed, this goes hand-in-hand with Slow Fashion and Sustainable Fashion, which is the reason we’re talking about it in this blog. So we will talk next about how it really is helping the environment, but first, we will clarify the reason behind the name „Capsule Wardrobe”.
why is it called capsule wardrobe?
You now know what a capsule wardrobe is and how it can make your life a lot easier, but, why is it even called capsule wardrobe? What’s „capsule” about all of this? Well, the answer is pretty simple, as we may see next:
It is called „capsule” because it means small and compact, a wardrobe, or closet, that only has the clothes necessary for your day-to-day life and that is true, small and compact in itself.
Other terms related to capsule wardrobes are key or staple clothing, which basically means clothes that can be combined in a large variety of ways, and that fit well into almost every occasion that you will encounter in your life.
how does a capsule wardrobe help the environment exactly?
After we have explained what it is, it becomes fairly clear why a capsule wardrobe would benefit the environment. Firstly because it promotes having a closet with only the essentials, without indulging in unnecessary consumerism and more waste that will harm the environment for years.
Secondly, this type of wardrobe promotes buying high-quality clothes that will last for years, specifically, sustainable fashion garments, made with respect for the environment and its workers and with minimal impact on our planet.
Overall, it aims for a small wardrobe that will not require a lot of clothes, that will contain sustainable long-lasting items, and that you can take care of, respecting the garments and using them at their maximum. This is why it’s so beneficial for the environment, and even for your wallet, so it’s really a win-win situation!
5 tips to make your own capsule wardrobe
You now know how it benefits the environment and why you should also aim to achieve a small wardrobe like the one we have talked about. So, great, now you are wondering what you can do next in order to achieve your very own capsule little wardrobe, we are not going to go into detail here, you can check out our other articles about it on our blog, but we will give you a few tips in order to succeed. Having said this, here are 5 tips that will help you create your very own capsule wardrobe:
- Choose Your Color Scheme, in order to have a small wardrobe that will fit every situation you encounter, you have to keep in mind your color palette, this involves choosing a few base colors that combine with everything, like black, brown, grey, white or navy (which is a pretty cool color if you ask us). All other items that you will wear should be shades of the base colors you have chosen, now you should be able to combine all of your precious garments while still looking as great as you used to.
- Consider Your Body Shape, this is a crucial step in order to feel comfortable with your clothes, you have to make sure the garments you choose are suited for your body, for example, by wearing cap sleeves if you have wider hips, as this will make your shoulders look more proportionate in relation to your hips.
- Consider Your Complexion, this also goes hand-in-hand with the other tip, choose colors that combine with yourself, your own body, as there are colors that may make you look paler or that benefit you more in some way or another. It is just a matter of your own preferences.
- Choose Classic Shapes And Patterns, in order to hold on to your wardrobe, you should think about long-term, avoiding garments that you think will quickly go out of date. So keep in mind that when buying your garments.
- Choose High-Quality Fabrics, this is one of the most important tips, your wardrobe should be composed of high-quality garments and sustainable fashion garments. This will not only make your garments last longer, but it will also reduce your carbon footprint. With a capsule wardrobe, it doesn’t really matter if the price of the garment is higher, you’re not going to buy nearly as many clothes as a normal person would, so you’re just investing in yourself, basically.
Well, this is it, we hope these 5 tips have helped you understand what you need and how you can create your own capsule wardrobe that will help you minimize your impact on this planet, while also letting you live a minimalistic and simple lifestyle.
This was our article on capsule wardrobes, we hope you have learned a lot today because so did we! We will continue to create more articles, for now, you can check out our other related articles, especially the ones on Sustainable Fashion and the environmental impacts of Fast Fashion, which is our main focus.
We are thrilled to teach people all around the world 🙂 Also, did you really know what Fast Fashion really is and its terrible consequences for the environment, the planet, the workers, society, and the economy? Do you know exactly what the Slow Fashion or Sustainable Fashion movement is? You should really take a look at these articles about this forgotten and unknown but very urgent and important subject, click here to read „Can Fashion Ever Be Sustainable?”, Sustainable Fashion, Ethical Fashion, Slow Fashion or Fast Fashion 101 | How It’s Destroying Our Planet because knowledge is one of the most powerful strengths you can have, while ignorance is your worst weakness.
We also have a big surprise for you! Because we want to give you the right to know us better, we have prepared a carefully dedicated About Us page where we will tell you who we are, what our mission is, what we do, a closer look at our team, and many more things! Do not miss this opportunity and click here to check it out. Also, we invite you to take a look at our Pinterest, where we will pin everyday sustainable fashion-related content, clothing designs, and other things that you will surely love!