custom t-shirts for starters | what you need to start making custom t-shirts
why do you need a custom t-shirt?
A customizable t–shirt is one that is made to order, usually with a specific design or message printed on it. They can be made for businesses, organizations, teams, or individuals and they are becoming more popular by the day. But, why do you need it yourself? Let’s find out:
- For example, someone might need a custom t-shirt to support their favorite team or player. Wearing a T-Shirt that supports your favorite team, player, actor… is a great way to show support for said person or organization, and can make you feel more bonded with them, which is great if you are a hardcore fan.
- Or, someone might need a custom t-shirt to show their pride in their alma mater. It can also show that you are part of an organization, group of people, cult, or any other type of similar group that you feel proud that you were or are part of. You can also wear the same t-shirt together with your other friends that were part of that organization, this in order to feel a sense of unity and brotherhood.
- In addition, custom t-shirts can be used to promote a business or brand. It can help you tell others about your project or personal brand, if you have any, and if not you can even create your personal brand, from scratch, especially by requesting a custom logo to be made for you for FREE.
- They can also be used to show support for a cause or charity. Just like the other ones, you can also support an honorable cause or promote a charity, this is a very common method of supporting these causes, and for a good reason. A great thing to support is Sustainable Fashion, especially by wearing an 100% organic sustianable t-shirt
- Finally, custom t-shirts are simply a fun and creative way to express oneself. With so many different colors, designs, and fonts available, there is sure to be a custom t-shirt that perfectly suits your personality and style. And what’s more, you will feel far more comfortable and confident when wearing a t-shirt that perfectly represents you, lasting you a lot more and making you feel better overall.
These were the reasons as of why you may need a custom t-shirt, there are many more, of course, if you stop and think about it. But now that you know this, you should know what you need in order to start making them yourself.
what do you need to start making custom t-shirts
To start with your custom printing journey you will need quite a lot of materials, to begin with, and some practice, but after that, you are good to go. Here are the materials you will need to start printing custom designs on your t-shirts:
- T-shirt printing machine, this printing machine is used to print designs or text onto t-shirts. There are several different types, but the most common type is the screen printing machine. They work by using a screen (a piece of mesh with a design or text stenciled onto it) to transfer ink onto the t-shirt. The ink is then cured (dried) using a heat press or ultraviolet light. The cost will vary depending on the type of machine, the brand, and the features. Screen printing machines start at around $200 and can go up to $10,000 for high-end machines. Heat press machines start at around $100 and can go up to $5,000 for high-end machines. There are many places where you can buy one of these. You can find them online or in some stores that sell office supplies or craft supplies.
- Printing ink, this is a type of ink specifically designed for use on t-shirts. It is generally thicker than regular printing ink, which helps it to stand up to repeated washings. It is available in various colors and can be applied using various methods, including screen printing, heat transfer, and direct-to-garment printing. Prices vary depending on the brand, type, and quantity purchased, but typically range from $10 to $50 per gallon.
- Printing paper, this is a type of transfer paper that is used to print images or text onto a t–shirt. The paper is placed on top of the t–shirt and then an image is printed onto the paper. It is then peeled off and the image is transferred onto the t–shirt. It typically costs between $5 and $10 per sheet.
- A t-shirt, this is the most straightforward and easiest-to-find material out there. We recommend choosing organic cotton t-shirts that are made with respect for the environment and the workers, you can learn more about this in our article Why Is Organic Cotton Different From Regular Cotton?
- You will also need a heat press or an iron to apply the design to the t-shirt, this is a machine that is used to transfer images or designs onto fabric or other materials. The machine uses heat and pressure to apply the design to the material. To use a heat press on a t-shirt, first, you need to create or obtain a design. This can be done with an inkjet printer and heat transfer paper. Once you have your design, you need to position it on the t-shirt. Make sure that you place the design where you want it on the t-shirt, as it will be difficult to move it once it is applied. Once the design is in place, you need to preheat the heat press. When the press is heated, you need to place the t-shirt on the press and then lower the top plate. The top plate will apply pressure and heat to the t-shirt, causing the design to be transferred onto the fabric. After a few seconds, you can remove the t-shirt from the heat press. Let it cool for a few minutes before handling it. The design should now be transferred onto the t-shirt. We already have told you how much this machine costs so you’re not good to go.
You now know all the things you need to start printing your own custom t-shirts yourself, but as you may already notice, this can be a very costly process for the few garments that you are going to print, and if you don’t plan to industrially sell these, we recommend you another very easy and affordable method for you, let’s see.
some of the best custom t-shirt ideas
Now that you know how to do it yourself, and before we tell you the not-so-secret and very straightforward of getting your own custom t-shirts, we are going to tell you some of the best ideas that you can use to create your next banger t-shirt, having said this, here are some of the best 5 ideas for a custom t-shirt:
- Use a clever or funny saying: This is a great way to show off your personality and make people laugh, it can also be a great conversation starter and can overall improve your mood every day. Some examples of funny sayings for t-shirts include: “I‘m not short, I‘m fun-sized!”, “I‘m not lazy, I‘m on energy saving mode!”, or “I‘m not weird, I‘m unique!” these are such great ideas we might even start making them ourselves 🙂
- Use a pop culture reference: Whether you love shows like Game of Thrones or Stranger Things, or you‘re all about that Marvel life, a pop culture reference on your custom t–shirt is sure to start some conversations. It can also make you feel more bonded with that show you love, and can show other people, especially other fellow fans of the same show, that you are with them; this will definitely be the start of many great friendships.
- Show off your fandom: Whether you‘re a diehard sports fan, a theater kid, or you love everything Harry Potter, wearing your fandom on your sleeve (or chest!) is a great way to make new friends who share your interests, just as we said before. Not only that, it may even be the start of a relationship with someone, better than using Tinder.
- Be punny: A play on words is always a good idea, especially on a custom t–shirt. Try a pun like “I‘m not getting old, I‘m getting better!” or “I‘m not a morning person, I‘m a night owl!”. We have some pretty good puns ourselves like „Radiate Positivity” with a radioactive design on the garment, or „Drive Fast Eat Ass” with Santa riding a motorcycle like a badass.
- Keep it simple: Sometimes, the best designs are the ones that are clean and simple. A classic t–shirt with your name or initials is always a good idea, or you could go for a more minimalist design with just a few words or a simple image. If you are going with this option, the best we can recommend is to have your name embroidered on a t-shirt, which is a very professional and high-quality option for people that want something simple yet great quality.
These were 5 of the best ideas for custom t-shirts, now that you know this, we will do what we promised and we will show you the best option to create your own custom t-shirts without spending thousands of dollars and spending time learning to handle very difficult machines.
custom t-shirt making: the easiest and best option
Here is the best option to create your very own custom t-shirts without the need of buying expensive machines and learning how to handle them. We are talking about making them online, on your own!
Specifically, we are talking about PLEA, a sustainable fashion project that offers many garments, some of them being customizable t-shirts with different fonts and graphics that you can add to your very own t-shirt, and yes, they do have a blog and you are reading it right now, so you don’t even have to search for it online.
What do we offer that others do not? Well, personalizable t-shirts in the first place, but they are also sustainable, slow fashion, and you can order them made from 100% organic cotton and recycled materials that will reduce your carbon footprint on this world. We also use very high quality and eco-friendly methods of printing designs that others do not, if you want to learn more about that you can read our About Us page.
Why is it that important that we use organic cotton? Well, here is a quick summary of why organic cotton t–shirts are so important:
- First, they are made from a more sustainable and environmentally friendly material than conventional cotton.
- Second, organic cotton is generally softer and more comfortable to wear than conventional cotton.
- Third, organic cotton t-shirts support the organic farming industry, which is typically more environmentally and socially responsible than conventional farming.
- Finally, organic cotton t-shirts send a message to the fashion industry that consumers are interested in more sustainable and ethical clothing options.
Just as before, if you want to learn about this more in-depth, be sure to check out our article Why Is Organic Cotton Different From Regular Cotton?
Coming back to custom t-shirts, the whole process of ordering one is very easy to do, you do not need any machines or anything at all, just create your custom design or have one created for you and the t-shirt of your dreams can arrive at your home in just a few days. But there is another great feature that we offer and no one else offers, and that will be discussed next.
We hope you have learned all about how to make personalized t-shirts by yourself, and we wish you all the luck in your journey to becoming the next master of custom t-shirts. If you want to learn more about slow fashion and the problem with the fashion industry, check out our blog or just click on any of the articles linked below, we have tons of different articles like this one that will help you and that you will enjoy.
We are thrilled to teach people all around the world 🙂 Also, did you really know what Fast Fashion really is and its terrible consequences for the environment, the planet, the workers, society, and the economy? Do you know exactly what the Slow Fashion or Sustainable Fashion movement is? You should really take a look at these articles about this forgotten and unknown but very urgent and important subject, click here to read „Can Fashion Ever Be Sustainable?”, Sustainable Fashion, Ethical Fashion, Slow Fashion or Fast Fashion 101 | How It’s Destroying Our Planet because knowledge is one of the most powerful strengths you can have, while ignorance is your worst weakness.
We also have a big surprise for you! Because we want to give you the right to know us better, we have prepared a carefully dedicated About Us page where we will tell you who we are, what our mission is, what we do, a closer look at our team, and many more things! Do not miss this opportunity and click here to check it out. Also, we invite you to take a look at our Pinterest, where we will pin everyday sustainable fashion-related content, clothing designs, and other things that you will surely love!